I've desperately wanted to take the kids to Montana for the last few years to show them some of my old haunts. This year, we made the time and did it. Aaron was worried about all the work that he was having to take off, so we planned the trip over the 4th of July. That way, he was already on a scheduled holiday!
We started out bright and early the morning of the fourth. I had planned lots of entertaining stops along the way. Many had to do with the hobby of letterboxing. If you aren't familiar with it, you can check it out at
www.letterboxing.org. We've been doing it for about five years now.
Our first few stops involved finding letterboxes that were planted close to our route.
 |
| Here's Enoch showing off his stamped book at our first box find |
 |
| I couldn't wait to take a traditional state sign picture going into BIG SKY COUNTRY! |
 |
The kids thought this was hilarious and teased us that we had actually drawn it on the sign 17 years ago when I took Aaron to Montana for the first time!
|
Our next big stop was in a real live ghost town (is that an oxymoron?)! The town of Bannack used to be one of the largest in the territory of Montana, but a series of unfortunate events occured, and all the residents eventually abandoned it. There are some great old, decaying buildings left to look through and enter at your own risk. I've always loved this place.
 |
| The grand old hotel, HOTEL MEADE. An amazing building to walk through. |
 |
| A view of Bannack from a hilltop. |
 |
| These stairs really freaked Enoch out. They were quite rickety to say the least. |
 |
| One of the old houses still left standing. |
 |
| An old merry-go-round in front of the school house. |
 |
| The school house and the masonic lodge all in the same building. |
We arrived in Deer Lodge and got settled in time to go to the town's 4th of July celebration.
The whole town comes out for a potluck supper and entertainment INSIDE the old territorial prison!
What a unique experience! Where else can someone celebrate our freedom inside of a place where people didn't have any....the irony!
The fireworks started just before dark. We had a great time inside the prison walls.
 |
listening to the country band play. This was our 2nd attempt at a picture.
I had told Samuel to smile. The above was the result, silly kid! |
 |
| Yep still waiting for the fireworks. The old cell blocks -white and red buildings- are behind us. |
1 comment:
Looks like this trip was a good one for all of you! I wouldn't mind visiting the "ol' stompin' grounds" someday...really...I would love to!! I especially liked the sign that you and Aaron signed 17 years ago...sweet!
Post a Comment