I'm going to quote a description of the hike just so you know what I had to do to get this picture taken....
"From the campground, the trail quickly climbs 400 feet in the first half mile, then levels a bit as it parallels the north fork of Teton Creek. At the 2.5 mile mark, the trail crosses the creek on a small footbridge. At this point you have climbed 1000 feet. To the southeast you can now see gentle sloping Table Mountain rising another 3000 feet to its distinctive box-shaped top. As you near the 3.5 mile mark, the trail bends to the right and enters a series of 9 switchbacks which climb 1000 feet in less than a mile (what?!?). As you climb the switchbacks you can begin to see the mightly summits of the Teton Range as they peak over the ridge to the east. The elevation at the top of the ridge is 9,944 feet. From here, the top of Table Mountain looks deceptively close. Actually, it is still 2 miles away and another 1000 feet up. (really?!?) The box-shaped top of Table Mountain, which gives the mountain its name, is made up of sedimentary rock. Be very careful as you make the final ascent through this sedimentary rock. It is really just a consolidated accumulation of sand, rock and shell fragments and therefore is brittle, crumbly and difficult to climb."
Even reading this discription really doesn't do the hike justice. It was the hardest hike I have ever done. I truly didn't know if I would make it, but with a lot of encouragement, I found myself climbing that last bit straight up that rock to the top! PHEW!
Even reading this discription really doesn't do the hike justice. It was the hardest hike I have ever done. I truly didn't know if I would make it, but with a lot of encouragement, I found myself climbing that last bit straight up that rock to the top! PHEW!
In summary - miles traveled: 14 round trip. Elevation climbed: 4000 feet in 7 miles for a total of 11,100 feet at the top. Worth it? Definitely! Will I do it again? Talk to me in a few years.....
No comments:
Post a Comment