The name Ebenezer Scrooge always makes one think of some mean, onery old man who hates Christmas. No one ever wants to be compared to Ebenezer Scrooge. No one seems to remember that Ebenezer changed! At the end of the story our mean, stingy old man becomes a wonderful person. He embodies everything there is about the Christmas spirit, peace and good will to all men. He repents of his former wrongs, and rights them. He becomes a good soul.
I have a deep respect for Mr. Scrooge and all he stands for. Maybe that is why once again members of the Whitaker family are taking part in "The Christmas Carol" playing at the local community theatre.
Enoch plays the village boy who wonderfully gets to experience the changed Ebenezer on Christmas morning. Scrooge calls down to him and pays him for going and getting the prize turkey for the Crachit family. His part is affectionately known as "Turkey Boy".
Hopefully I don't just sound like a bragging parent, but I've been so impressed with Enoch on stage and off. He knows his lines (and he has a few) and all his cues. Off stage, he is the best -behaved kid there. We have never had to get after him for goofing off or running around. He is a serious actor and obeys every rule of the theatre. What a great kid he has been!
Kiera plays the part of one of the older Cratchit daughters. She has also had the opportunity to be in the theatre's band as they needed a french horn player. This has been a great learning experience for her, and it has also been fun watching her hold her own with more seasoned musicians. She is really getting to be a good french horn player.
The show always has a good message for everyone during the holidays and beyond. The man who plays Scrooge this year said it best. "I have about 10 minutes to make the audience hate me, then about 15 minutes to make them feel sorry for me. After that, I only have about 5 minutes to make them like me at the end. If I can do all that, I might just change their lives."
Merry Christmas and can we all remember its' true meaning!
3 comments:
I love this story as well! You guys look great in your costumes...I wish we could see a performance!
I just love the Christmas Carol!!! It just isn't Christmas until I see it. I wish I was able to see you guys this year, but it wasn't in the cards. I am sure you did great.
Just an FYI, Charles Dickens also wrote the story of Christ's birth and Life for his children. It is a very interesting read.
I was in Christmas Carol at Hale Theater for several years (high school days). I remember it was a family affair ... the Cratchit wife and kids were actually the wife and kids of the fellow who played Scrooge (I think he STILL plays Scrooge today, 20 years later). I was in Christmas Past, Elizabeth Fezziwig, and also in the choir. Fun memories!
Post a Comment