Friday December 4 started out like any other day. It was my dad's 90th birthday and we were planning a big party for him with all the kids grandkids and quite a few of the great-grandkids as well. I had a lot to do with decorating at my church cultural hall and helping cook all the marinated turkey. Aaron took the day off and hung up our Christmas lights besides being the main chef all afternoon. The church looked great all decorated and I came home to get everyone ready to go back and celebrate with dad. Then things started gettting a little strange. My brother Craig showed up at my house --not too strange since he was coming for the party and would be staying overnight with us. Then my sister and brother-in-law arrived at my house as well. I wasn't expecting them to be at my house before the party, but that was fine too. I was showing off our finished guest room to my sister downstairs when Shenna called from the kitchen to say that Aaron need my help with something out on the front porch. I went upstairs and out onto the porch, not to find Aaron needing assistance, but to find Jon Schmidt - composer and pianist extrordinaire - standing at my door! Aaron had arranged a private concert just for me in my living room! It was my early birthday present! Even now, with pictures as evidence, it is hard to believe that he was here and playing my grandmothers 109 year old piano...it's a good thing we've taken care of it. The kids were so excited and had their requests ready for him to play. It was so much fun to just sit in my living room and listen to some great music with my family.
After he played here at my house for awhile, we took him over to the church to share him with my dad and the rest of the extended family. He signed some of his piano books for people (yes, everyone has known he was coming for months--except me of course), ate with us and mingled before putting on quite a show for the crowd.
My nephew Josh, who is one of the best piano students I have ever had, got to jam with him for awhile on the piano at the church. I think they both had a good time with it.
All in all, it was the biggest surprise I have ever had! I'm really amazed that Aaron could pull it off and that everyone kept it such a secret. Not once did anyone slip up about him coming (which is also amazing since my family is so big, you would think SOMEONE would have goofed). I still am in shock. The evening was wonderful and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
After he played here at my house for awhile, we took him over to the church to share him with my dad and the rest of the extended family. He signed some of his piano books for people (yes, everyone has known he was coming for months--except me of course), ate with us and mingled before putting on quite a show for the crowd.
My nephew Josh, who is one of the best piano students I have ever had, got to jam with him for awhile on the piano at the church. I think they both had a good time with it.
All in all, it was the biggest surprise I have ever had! I'm really amazed that Aaron could pull it off and that everyone kept it such a secret. Not once did anyone slip up about him coming (which is also amazing since my family is so big, you would think SOMEONE would have goofed). I still am in shock. The evening was wonderful and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.
1 comment:
Ryan just showed me the pictures of your fantastic surprise from his facebook account...all I can say is WOW! What a great birthday present! I only wish I could have been there as well!
Post a Comment